Leading The Way To End Tuberculosis
For the first time in history, a world free of Tuberculosis is possible. In the last decade, Results Australia led major campaigns which unlocked unprecedented funding to end this deadly disease. Here’s how we did it.
In 2015, Results was instrumental in bringing gether parliamentarians from across our region to make commitments to tackle the Tuberculosis epidemic. This was the first ever ‘Asia Pacific TB Caucus’.
Results Australia then ran bold campaigns to build public support for the issue whilst assisting the Australian TB caucus – a group of 25 parliamentarians from all political parties – to champion action in parliament. This set the foundation for three major victories.
- In 2018, the Australian Government committed $75 million to find better prevention, diagnostics and treatment for tuberculosis and malaria.
- After persistent advocacy by the Results community, the Australian Government increased Australia’s contribution to the ‘Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria’ to $220 million in 2017 to 2019. In the last two decades, the Global Fund has supported programs that have saved more than 20 million lives.
- Finally, Results has championed progress to end Tuberculosis in solidarity with our closest neighbours. From 2007 to 2010, we worked with the Global Fund to achieve an agreement between Australia and Indonesia which resulted in a cancellation of $75 million of Indonesian debt to Australia, providing for $37.5 million in lifesaving Tuberculosis programs. In the following year, we ran a campaign which resulted in the Australian Government investing $60 million into Tuberculosis services in the remote Western Province of Papua New Guinea and its National Capital districts.
“No other organisation has been as critical a partner… to
eradicate poverty and empower women than RESULTS”
Professor Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Laureate
Protecting Children From Deadly Diseases
Every child deserves to live free from deadly diseases. That’s why Results spearheaded campaigns which has helped to enable hundreds of millions of children access life saving vaccinations.
In 2011, Results Australia mobilised people across the country to meet with their local parliamentarians to advocate for an increase Australia’s pledge to GAVI – the global vaccine alliance. This culminated in Australia making a leading pledge of $200 million which helped to provide lifesaving vaccinations for seven million children! This is an incredible example of the impact everyday people can have when they speak up for a better world.
Results groups continued to campaign in the coming years which resulted in the Australian Government contributing $250 million to Gavi for 2016 to 2020. This was part of a broader global effort to unlock funding to support the vaccination of an additional 300 million children.
Finally, the Indo-Pacific region will have improved access to vaccines through Australia’s pledge in June 2020 of $300 million to Gavi, which Results groups advocated strongly for.
Ensuring children can access nutritious food
A shocking 45% of deaths among children under five are linked to undernutrition. In response to this preventable injustice, Results groups in Australia have run amazing campaigns which has opened up funding for more children to access nutritious food.
In 2013, Results Australia influenced parliamentarians to sign onto the Scaling Up Nutrition Framework, a global partnership tackling undernutrition. It worked! Australia pledged $40 million and committed to reviewing Australia’s aid priorities in our region.
Results then stepped up its advocacy on nutrition to ensure it was a priority for Australia’s international development. In 2015, after years of campaigning, the Government included nutrition as a key policy objective in its ‘Health for Development Strategy’.
Education for all Children
In the last decade, Results groups have campaigned for inclusive and equitable access to education, particularly for women and girls. After a sustained education campaign in 2011, we achieved a major victory when Australia pledged $270 million to the ‘Global Partnership for Education’, making us the fourth most generous donor!
Since then, successive governments have described education as the flagship program for Australia’s international development.
Kickstarting Australia’s First Microfinance Strategy
Results groups in Australia have used its collective voice to call for increased access for vulnerable people to credit and financial services since the early 1990s. We made history when our advocacy efforts led to the release of the Australian Government’s first microfinance strategy in 2010 titled, “Financial Services for the Poor”.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
Results is a partner of the global health advocacy network, ‘ACTION’
In the last decade, ACTION has persuaded world leaders to commit $17 billion to help children access healthcare, nutritious food and live free from preventable diseases like Tuberculosis.
ACTION partnership works across five continents and is made up of independent, locally established civil society organisations. ACTION collaborates to inspire action to end tuberculosis, promote child nutrition and expand access to childhood vaccinations. In the past six years alone, ACTION has had three major victories.
- We generated nearly $9.8 billion in new resources for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB & Malaria.
- Since 2011, we helped persuade leaders to pledge $5 billion to Gavi, the Vaccines Alliance. Since 2000, Gavi has supported countries to immunize half a billion children in the world’s poorest countries.
- We were integral to the successes of the June 2013 Nutrition For Growth summit in London, where countries committed $3 billion to scale up the global response to undernutrition.