- Tuberculosis (TB) accounts for 1 in 5 deaths of people living with HIV.
- Australia has a crucial role to play in the response to TB.
- This is a major issue on our doorstep with 58 per cent of global TB cases in the Asia Pacific region.
- In spite of the toll of death and disease from TB and HIV combined, international donors and national governments have given little attention to ensuring that HIV programs include appropriate screening and treatment for TB. Including Australia!
- Australia has the opportunity to announce a top up pledge of $125 million to the Global Fund at AIDS 2014.
- Australia must integrate TB and HIV programs within the aid program